1) Do not use generators, charcoal grills or gas grills inside the house, garage, or enclosed space.
2) Do not try to heat the house using a gas range or oven. Carbon monoxide (CO) is invisible, odorless, and deadly and can build up in a matter of minutes.
3) Have the following items ready at home:
- Battery powered radio, batteries, flashlights,
cell phone, and charger.
- One week supply of non-perishable food, water,
medicine, medical supplies.
- Items for babies, the elderly, and pets.
- Kitty litter or sand for de-icing steps
- Heating fuel, properly ventilatied emergency
heating source such as a fireplace, wood stove,
or space heater.
- Fire extinguisher, smoke detector,
carbon monoxide detector.
- Warm clothing and extra blankets.