Staying Informed

AccessFayetteville provides numerous ways to stay informed about your local government.


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What voting ward do I reside in?

    One way to determine which ward you reside in is to utilize our interactive Ward Map.  Another way is to search the Ward by Address PDF document.  This PDF has a list of individual addresses with what ward it is in as well as the council representatives for that ward.

  2. Who are my City Council Representatives?

    First, you will need to determine which voting ward you live.  Once you know your ward, city council members can be found on the City Council web page.  Also, you can search, by your address, the Ward by Address PDF document that shows which ward a particular address is in and who the council members are for that address.

  3. Are there any job openings?

    Please check with the Careers web page.

  4. With whom should I speak regarding addresses?

    The E-911 Address Coordinator can be reached at 479-575-8380 in the GIS Office.

  5. Are unit numbers or suite numbers assigned by the property owner(s)?

    No. The unit number or suite number is a part of the address, which is assigned by the E-911 Address Coordinator.

  6. Are there maps of Fayetteville on the internet?

    Yes, the City website has a number of maps maintained by our GIS department.  They include aerial photography, the Master Street Plan, Neighborhood Organizations, trails, wards, water and sewer systems, zoning, and other information.  They are located on the Interactive Maps web page.

  7. Is my House in the City of Fayetteville?

    One way to determine if your house is located inside Fayetteville city limits is to utilize our Interactive Maps.  All of our maps contain current city limits and recent imagery that will help you determine if you house is located in Fayetteville.

  8. How can I obtain GIS data?

    GIS data can be "extracted" from our interactive web maps.  If this method does not have the specific data you need or if you have questions or problems, please contact the GIS Office.

  9. How can I download imagery?

    Currently, imagery is not available for download.  The GIS Office can clip imagery to a specific area and provide it to the customer in various formats.  Please contact the GIS Office.

  10. Can I get data in CAD format?

    Yes, there is an option available in our interactive maps for "data extraction"; formats include DWG, DXF, and DGN.

  11. Can I download contours in CAD format and where are the elevations?

    Contours can be "extracted" from our interactive maps in a DWG, DXF, or DGN format.  Elevations should be populated in the "Elevation" field.  Contours can also be downloaded in zipped DWG files by the quarter quadrangle from our FTP site.

  12. I get the error "Unable to display MapService [ERR0515] Requested image is too large" when I try to view an interactive map, is the service down?

    That error is usually the result of trying to view a MapService with a monitor that is a widescreen format, try making your internet window smaller.

  13. I get the error when I attempt to open an interactive map or no information shows up in the internet browser window, when will it be back up?

    If the Map Services are down we will get them back up and running as soon as we can.  Usually, we will have the services back up within a few minutes of learning that they are down, however, rarely, there is an issue that requires more time.  Please contact the GIS Office at 479-444-3440 or should there be any problems.