AccessFayetteville provides numerous ways to stay informed about your local government.
Police Department Employment
The Fayetteville Police Department endeavors to hire the most qualified applicants. Our requirements conform to the standards issued by the Arkansas State Legislature. Our commitment to the City of Fayetteville is to provide the best possible applicants who will be trained to protect our citizens and serve our community. This is a highly responsible position that involves networking with the community and the protection of life and property.
The wage for entry level Police Officers is $16.013 per hour ($33,306 per year based on 2080 hours).
The police officer application process consists of the following steps:
- The Police Department Application must be submitted approximately 4 weeks in advance of the written examination. Examinations will be held on a date to be determined each January and June and on an as needed basis.
- The Required Documents must be submitted with the application.
- A written exam will be administered. Technical knowledge of Law Enforcement is not required to successfully pass the test.
- A Physical Fitness Assessment will be done to determine the applicant's ability to withstand strenuous activities.
- Applicants must pass both the written exam and the physical fitness assessment in order to qualify for the oral interview by the Civil Service Commission and the Police Board.
- Applicants who achieve enough points to become certified will be listed as certified applicants in order of the highest to lowest evaluation scores. When a job opening occurs, the Chief may hire from the top three candidates of the list of certified applicants.
- Certified applicants remain on the list for 12 months.
In order to complete the application process, applicants must meet the following criteria:
Be a citizen of the United States
Be not less than 21 years of age on the test date
Have a current , valid drivers license
Possess a High School Diploma or GED
Applicants should have no felony conviction
Copies of the following documents must accompany your completed application.
Birth certificate or proof of citizenship
- High School diploma or GED certificate
- A current, valid drivers license
- Military discharge or DD-214 (Active Military Service)
Applications will not be accepted without copies of the above documents. In addition to the required documents, a list of certifications, special classes attended, seminars, etc. may also be attached at the applicant's discretion.
Physical Agility Testing Process
The physical fitness test will consist of six exercises given on the same day at the Fayetteville Police Department. They will be administered, observed and graded by Fayetteville Police Department fitness instructors. For testing, you will need to wear proper clothing. Prior to each individual exercise, the fitness instructor will provide information on the proper technique and explain the exercise with special instructions. Each participant must complete the entire test. The following is a list of exercises and standards that you will have to meet to pass the physical fitness test.
- 1.5 Mile Run conducted on a flat track and completed within 16 minutes 28 seconds
- 300 Meter Run conducted on a flat track and completed within 71 seconds
- Bench Press - using a barbell, you must lift 64% of your body weight one time or complete 25 push-ups using proper technique
- Vertical Jump of 16 inches or, using the Universal Leg Press machine, you will lift 125% of your body weight one time
- Situps - must complete 29 within one minute