AccessFayetteville provides numerous ways to stay informed about your local government.
INCLEMENT WEATHER DRIVING
Today, with the potential for inclement weather in the forecast, the Fayetteville Police Department wants to remind motorist to prepare for driving in inclement weather and encourage driver caution in an effort to avoid potential crashes.
The Fayetteville Police Department investigates numerous crashes during times of inclement weather and many of these crashes are avoidable. Some of the contributing factors include driving too fast for conditions, following too closely, failure to yield and careless driving. The Fayetteville Police Department offers the following safety reminders to motorist:
- Allow a safe driving distance, at least three seconds of space between vehicles.
- Make arrangements for alternate routes and allow additional travel time in inclement weather.
- Make sure windshield wipers are in proper working order.
- Ensure external lighting is operating properly and vehicle glass is free of obstruction.
- Give 100 percent attention to driving. Inattention is a common contributor to crashes.
- Don’t take unnecessary risks. Only venture out if it is absolutely necessary.
- Carry emergency items, flashlight, blanket, cell phone, food, water and first aid kit.
- Be extra cautious on bridges, they tend to freeze before the roadways.
- Make sure you have plenty of fuel in your vehicle before leaving.
- If you lose traction and begin to slide, steer into the slide to regain control.
Motorists may visit www.arkansashighways.com website and go the weather conditions map link to receive the latest information on weather-related road conditions.