AccessFayetteville provides numerous ways to stay informed about your local government.
HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS
With the approach of Halloween, it is important to consider the safety of everyone. To make Halloween, safe, the Fayetteville Police Department is recommending the following tips:
For parents and children:
- Children under 12 should trick-or-treat and cross streets with an adult.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Parents should remind children to watch for cars that are turning or backing up.
- Look left, right and left again when crossing and keep looking as you cross. Walk; don't run, across the street.
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic, and turn your headlights on earlier in the day so you can spot children from greater distances.
- Remember that costumes can limit children's visibility, and they may not be able to see your vehicle.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.