AccessFayetteville provides numerous ways to stay informed about your local government.
Wet weather driving tips
With the potential for rain and severe weather in the forecast, Fayetteville Police Chief Greg Tabor would like to remind motorists to prepare for driving in rainy conditions and encourage drivers to use caution in an effort to avoid potential crashes.
The Fayetteville Police Department investigates numerous crashes during times of rainy weather and many of these crashes are avoidable. Some of the contributing factors include speed too fast for conditions, following too closely, failure to yield and careless driving. The Fayetteville Police Department offers the following safety reminders to motorist:
- Slow down. The faster your drive, the greater your chance of hydroplaning. Allow additional travel time.
- Allow a safe driving distance, at least three seconds of space between vehicles
- Make sure windshield wipers are in proper working order and if you are using your windshield wipers, Arkansas State Law requires you to turn on your headlights.
- Never drive through moving water. It only takes a few inches of water to sweep away a vehicle.
- Give 100 percent attention to driving. Inattention is a common contributor to crashes.