Staying Informed

AccessFayetteville provides numerous ways to stay informed about your local government.



I received a notice that my water supply will be interrupted for construction, what should I be prepared for?


Water stoppages are infrequent, but they sometimes do occur and it's wise to be prepared for the emergency. The City of Fayetteville Water and Sewer Maintenance Division often knows about the problem and is working to solve it before you even call. 

Before a water stoppage occurs, be prepared with a supply of bottled water to use for drinking or sponge-bathing. If you have no water, check with your neighbors to see if the problem is just with your home. With that information and the general description of the problem, call the Fayetteville Call Center to find out if the problem is mechanical or if your service has been disconnected. Our Call Center will be able to quickly assess the situation and recommend a solution to you. If your neighbors are also without water, City officials are most likely aware of the stoppage and are working to restore your service.

For more information, or to speak with a Call Center Representative, contact the Call Center, located at 113 W. Mountain St., between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, or call us at (479) 521-7700.

For after-hours problems of this nature, you may phone Fayetteville Police Central Dispatch for assistance. That phone number is (479) 587-3555 option "1".

You can also visit us online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.